I have been writing, rewriting, and writing a post about Superman for some time. That post is garbage now. Well, I may finish it someday, but that day is not today.
If you’ve known me for three minutes you know that I am a giant Superman fan. I have been both anxious and excited for the new Superman movie, Man of Steel which opens June 14th.
The anxiousness went away tonight when I saw the newest trailer for Man of Steel.
“You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They’ll race behind you, they will stumble. They will fall… But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.”
That speech from Jor-El was in the original Jor-El teaser trailer and I still love it. It really encompasses who Superman is. What Superman is.
This movie is a total reboot, and it looks like they are doing the origin in a Batman Begins way, which is not shocking since Christopher Nolan is producing Man of Steel. I love that the movie is called “Man of Steel” and not “Superman (something)”. I didn’t expect them to say the name “Superman” in the movie at all, or at least not until the end. They kind of hinted at in the trailer, which is awesome.
I really enjoyed Superman Returns. I dragged Ali to the theater three times to see it. I know a lot of people think it was crap, but I really enjoyed it.
But this trailer? Wow. Tingles. Chills.
Some notes/thoughts about the trailer:
- Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent kills every line in every trailer so far. He may end up being my favorite part of the movie.
- The scene at 0:40 of young Clark running around with the cape on is pure awesomeness.Henry Cavill as Superman looks great. I can’t wait to see him in action longer than a couple of seconds at a time.
- I love when Superman has a long flowing cape. It’s so regal. So bad ass.
- Check out LexCorp Tower at 2:19.
- Amy Adams still seems like an odd casting choice for Lois Lane to me. I’m withholding judgement, though.
I’m so beyond giddy. More so than I was for Superman Returns.
But Man of Steel is different. It needs to be awesome. Not just for me, but for everyone. The world needs an awesome Superman movie. Superman deserves an awesome Superman movie.
“In time, they will join you in the sun.”
Superman is hope. Superman is us tomorrow.
The Man of Steel is a great nickname. The Man of Tomorrow? That’s perfect. That’s who Superman is.
That trailer nailed it. I’ve watched it about 15 times tonight. It’s perfect. I hope the movie is too.